Monday, November 5, 2012

50 Smiles

The first day without a sub went really well, I hardly noticed my MT was gone.  We just had a sub again today and I felt bad, not because I messed anything up, but because I could tell she was bored since I had everything covered!  I felt so prepared and am hoping that feeling continues throughout the week. 

I went home 2 weekends ago and miss it every day.  When Dorothy said, "There's no place like home," she wasn't kidding!  I had an amazing time carving pumpkins, eating pumpkin seeds, picking leaves, etc.  It was nice to get a taste of fall this year.  I ended up getting stuck in Ohio an extra day because of the hurricane/superstorm, which I was definitely not complaining about.  I knew it was a possibility before I left for the weekend so I had everything ready to go and all plans done for my MT just in case.  It's kind of crazy that I'm making plans for an actual teacher when I won't be there, and yet her sub plans consist of "Nicole will do everything."  It's nice to know I'm actually trusted with maintaining the classroom all of the time, I guess I must be doing something right.  And when I got back on Tuesday, I found a note from the substitute saying how much she enjoyed working with me and that I was becoming a great teacher.  That definitely brightened my day from the beginning.

This weekend we went to the Chalk Festival which was absolutely incredible (I'll upload some pictures later) and finally found the dolphin fountain Caitlyn and I had happened acrossed pictures of back in Ohio.  Saturday I went on my longest beach run yet, tried to get on the diving boards again (to no avail), and went to the USF Bulls game Saturday night in Tampa.  It was a great day and a reminder of what Sarasota (and Tampa) have to offer.  Sunday I went to the Shore and my Connect group.  I truly think that church and the relationships I have built through the church will be one of the things that I miss the most when I leave (alongside the kids of course).  I don't have a clue how I'm going to be able to walk away that last day.

This weekend we are headed to Disney for a taste of Orlando.  As for the title...teachers complain a lot (trust me), and as much as I want to agree with them sometimes, I can't imagine a different profession.  I once saw a whitening/toothpaste? commercial that said you smile on average 50 times every day, but I can't imagine that statistic being about elementary teachers.  There are so many reasons to smile and let's be honest, kids really do say the darndest things sometimes. The way they light up when they finally understand something, I can't help but smile right back. 

Car is still running great.  Kids are still amazing.  Still loving my host and MT.  Couldn't have asked for a better church community or family.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment