Thursday, September 20, 2012

I Am Blessed

It's crazy how sometimes the not so good days remind you of how blessed you are.  After some mix-ups with my supervisor and not the greatest first observation, I was struggling to keep a positive attitude.  But after going back for the Open House and seeing the excitement in those kids, and the love their parents had for them, I couldn't help but smile and know that I am still right where I need to be.  It was awesome seeing the kids open up and really be kids again (I don't get to see that much in a classroom so full of structure and keeping the students quiet--not that that's a bad thing).  I enjoyed talking to the parents and learning more about them through their parents, and how their parents interacted with them.  And I especially liked knowing I could understand 3 of the Hispanic families when they came in.  That's such a different environment than I'm used to, and I love every minute of it.

What really hit me pretty hard today was what I found out after leaving school.  One of my classmates from high school died in a car accident this morning.  We weren't close, but it was still sad to learn of someone my age, who I had known for years, losing his life.  It makes you realize how precious every single day and every moment is.  I'm not sure why God has given me another day and given me the opportunity to work with these kids, but I'm not going to let one not so good observation (and by not so good I just mean frustrating with the mix-ups about the observation, the lesson itself went well) deter me from doing what I love and sharing that love with kids who need it.  I am so blessed to have another day, and I hope I can make a positive difference in some way with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment