Sunday, September 16, 2012

Learning the Ropes

2 weeks down, it's kind of hard to believe.  I'm starting to know my way around not only the school, but around the city.  It's becoming habit already to drive from one place to the next.  I feel like I've been here so much longer than 2 weeks in the sense that I'm becoming comfortable in my host's house, in the classroom, and around town.  But yet I can't believe I've already been here 2 weeks.  It feels like just yesterday I was leaving Ashland and yet that was 2 1/2 weeks ago. 

I'm starting to realize how much is going to change in Ohio without me being there.  I never realized how much I'd miss not being able to see the leaves change in the fall.  Hearing about how my students here have never experienced that, have never experienced playing in the snow, or the joys of a snow day makes me feel so far away from home.  Even when talking about swimming the other day, I realized that they were talking about swimming at the beach, not in a pool.  It hadn't even crossed my mind.  In a weird way I guess it's a little bit of culture shock.  With everyone at home starting to bundle up and it being just as hot as ever here, I'm starting to realize that this is going to be much more of a cultural experience than I had imagined. 

As far as the classroom goes, I'm still loving it so far.  I've taken over most of the morning routines, and other than the last 45 minutes, I'm teaching the whole day now in some form or another.  It's crazy to think the semester just started and yet I start teaching almost the whole day this week.  Starting Tuesday I will have the first 45 minutes, be in charge of one of the reading centers, and teach Math and Science/Social Studies.  And my little Hispanic friend is doing quite well, at least socially.  I've noticed him really start to open up more to his peers and he raises his hand a lot in Math :).  He's said a few things to me in Spanish now, and it's an amazing feeling knowing that even though I can't reply back to him in Spanish, I know what he's saying and I can help him say what he wants to say.  I've even geared my 2 week Unit around helping the ELL students and some of the other students that struggle with various things.  I really hope I can make a difference for them.

Outside of the classroom, I found an amazing park about 5 minutes away that has a fitness trail, which is perfect for what I was hoping to do while down here.  I went to dinner with my Mentor Teacher, and a few others and realized how much educators really think and talk about school and everything that goes along with it.  We can't get away from it.  I went to yoga on the beach Saturday morning which was really nice and a farmer's market downtown.  And probably the best part of my week was finding a church that I really enjoy going to.  I went to The Shore this morning and loved it from the very beginning.  I even talked to a few people about joining a small group.  I was starting to stress about not finding somewhere I could truly enjoy being at and getting involved in but those fears all went away today.  I feel so much better about being here and I can't wait to go back again.  But for now, it's off to prepare for another week learning, teaching, and loving these kids.

1 comment: