Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Seagull Encounter

First week down!  It's crazy to think I've already been here a week and how accustomed I've already gotten to everything.  My host has been awesome and even trying to keep me up with my Spanish (although it never seems to last very long).  We've been talking about faith, food, daily activities, and so many other things.  I've already started to open up to her more than I ever did with my host in Costa Rica.  I think this will turn out to be an amazing experience.  So let's go through week one!

Throughout the week I helped out my friend from Colombia even more.  I was sitting next to him and a few other struggling students at his table because a student was absent, helping them with their work.  It became quite obvious that he was losing focus, but I credit a large part of that to him not understanding what was going on.  I ended up taking him to a separate table to work on the word scramble while the rest of the class reviewed the answers.  He didn't have a clue.  When I re-explained how the worksheet was set up, spelling words on top, incorrect spelled-spelling words on the side, it suddenly clicked.  He got through the rest of the worksheet (correctly) before the rest of the class had finished reviewing it.  He seemed so proud and almost shocked that he was getting the right answers.  Also that day, I helped him with his morning journal.  The students were to complete the sentence "I ___ like a ____." to show how animals and humans are alike.  He came up with "I walk like a turtle" (most likely because another student had just said it).  I worked with him on creating the sentence correctly which in the end he had just what he was supposed to.  He even drew a picture of a turtle (completely on his own!) so I knew he actually understood what he was writing.  When everyone was sharing, he looked up at me smiling with such excitement in his eyes.  I just can't get over that face. 

The rest of the week continued really well, and I slowly helped out more and took over more responsibilities like grading, extra help for students, attendance, grade book, etc.  My mentor teacher had said that Fridays are always very busy, but we got everything done in plenty of time and she was still able to leave early. 

The kids seem to be taking to me very well, they are constantly trying to hold my hands as we walk from one place to another and are even starting to call out my name when they need help on their work.  I'm slowly getting more hugs and cute little kid compliments which I can't help but smile about--it's one of the many perks of being in Early Childhood Education :). 

I've talked to and learned so much already through the ESOL teacher, the guidance counselor, and the various Special needs therapists who have come through the room.  I've even been learning about before/after school procedures and safety and witnessed what may become their completely new driveway/after school procedure.  I've seen some differences in positive and somewhat negative teacher lunch room collaborations can look like, something I was warned about by my beloved senior block professor.  I've even been able to see what a real cumulative folder looks like...I can't believe how big some of them are for only the First Grade!! 

Outside of school, we had the privilege of visiting our supervisor's house to meet other mentor teachers, hosts and interns, as well as some of the others in charge of our placements.  It was great to have the opportunity to meet with everyone in such a relaxed environment.  I also got to go to Siesta Key Beach for the first time, which of course I fell in love with the incredibly soft white sand (which I couldn't keep myself from turning into a little kid again and playing in it).  It was absolutely breath-taking--the ocean has a crazy way of making you feel so small yet putting you at peace.  We saw a bunch of dead jellyfish washed up on shore, so hopefully I don't get stung by one again this semester!

And finally, what the title was referring to...the seagull encounter.  I was sitting on the beach at Siesta Key eating a granola bar and thinking about the monkeys in Costa Rica that would come up and snatch your food if you weren't careful.  Then I started thinking about how the birds at Siesta were constantly flying down to catch fish or finding food on the beach.  I turned my head to the side and a couple seconds later I feel something on my hand.  I turn just in time to see the hind side of a sneaky seagull snatching the granola bar from my hand!  Of course I immediately let go...I'm not trying to pick a fight with a seagull my first day there!  I couldn't believe it had really done that--I was in shock.  So then a swarm of seagulls started fighting over the granola bar right in front of us (which I don't think they ever actually managed to get much out of the wrapper).  A bit later, one was hovering over my friend who was eating something as well.  She had to hide it long enough for the seagull to fly away.  I now understand why the locals at beaches never seem to find seagulls so awesome as I always did. 

So that was my week in a nutshell (okay a rather large nutshell).  I'm still having a great time and learning so many things about teaching, culture, lifestyle, and everything else.  It's amazing how different a place can be in the same country.  But for now I need to get back to preparing lessons, I'll start teaching math this week!  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment